caregivers across the country who last year providedbillions of hours of unpaid care to loved ones with dementia, the value of adult day services are clear. However, it is important to note that good adult day care really underpins the well-being of the entire community. On the practical side, day centers are a great financial savings compared to other alternatives not just for individuals, but for all taxpayers. On the personal side, most everyone wants to live with dignity as long as possible in their home and these programs make that possible.
What are adult day services? According the the National Adult Day Services Association:
Adult day services is a professional care setting in which older adults, adults living with dementia, or adults living with disabilities receive individualized therapeutic, social, and health services for some part of the day.
- A source of companionship and support for caregivers and their loved ones
- A place to continue growing and learning, no matter your age and abilities
- A group of people who truly respect and value older adults
- A fun and lively place that encourages laughter, music and joy
- A resource for the whole community